Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6th June

As Monty Python so famously said "and now for something completely different".

You may recall that I mentioned that I was about to develop the roll of film that took a dunk in the ocean at Sandwood Bay and that I did not expect anything good to come out of it. Well, the film was trashed (of course) but out of failure comes success, as they say. The film was covered with salt crystals that had acted like little radioactive tracer bullets and gave a very interesting effect rather like a night sky. In addition, the clear film around the edge of each image was 'beaten up', looking like it had been exposed to light. There were smear marks (water marks?) on the film as well as hints of what the original subject matter had been. The result was an interesting mish mash of texture that I think will be exciting to use as backgrounds for future images. I have some ideas formulating in this weird head of mine about what some of those images could be. I am including one such 'precursor' image here for your eternal amusement. The image MAY be the first in a series of highly distorted portraits set on the backgrounds mentioned above. I have called this first image "Nightmarish Apparition" in honor of the Zombie craze that is sweeping the USA at the moment. If I decide to use myself as a model in this series I won't even have to distort the face - ha ha! Of course, I may also do a series of 'straight' portraits against these backgrounds - who knows where this will lead. That's part of the excitement of photography.


Nightmarish Apparition

No comments:

Post a Comment